Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Mercy Rule


So yesterday I thought I'd have one last relaxing saturday before getting back into football again for the season. I woke up and thought, mmm a bath sounds good so I piled on in for a couple of hours and read a book, which I admit I quite like to do alot.

After this I thought I should probably get my car registered as it has been out of registration for about 3 weeks and up here you need to get a green slip, which is insurance for injury which you might do to the other people on the road, a pink slip, which is a car check every year and then finally go and pay your registration. I've quite enjoyed riding the bike everyday, but got to thinking it might be good for the car again as I was thinking I might need some groceries and you can't get get that many on two wheels. I did a ring around and got some quotes and finally went with a company and they go well you had the green slip with us last year, so I said, well that will do me then. On the way I stopped at the local westfields and got a haircut and also bought a new wii game as family home evening is here this week, so I thought an extra game will be fun. After this I went to the Roads and Transport place and realised I forgot the pink slip, so home I went. I got it and decided I'd go to Penrith this time instead and then go and watch some footy as it was a nice warm day.

When I first moved up here I played for the St Clair Crows and their juniors were playing, so off I went, I found a nice spot on the hill and some nice sunshine and sat back to relax. After awhile I had a few people come up to me to see what I was up to and to see if I was playing still as they wanted me to come over and help them coach the under 16's. I told them I was still playing, so they asked what days I trained and then they go to me, well if your not up to anything on wednesday nights you know where we train, we'd love some help. One of the old playing coaches was also there and goes Chris how fit are you feeling, I go why and he hands me a whistle and a white top. I go to him I hope it's only boundary, luckily it was. I did one game and they go feel like doing another one, I said if you find someone for the first half I'll do the last. I wasn't expecting to run the boundary and because it was cold earlier on and I was on the bike I was in trackies and it was hot as. The younger teams did ok, but the last game with the 16's, they only had 5 boys who had played before and the half time score was something like 120 to 1, so the umpires and the other coach came over and invoked the mercy rule and gave some of his players over and the game was a lot more interesting after that.

Well the day wasn't quite as relaxing as I was first thinking but overall it was quite interesting and the gallop around the boundary should give me a little more fitness, which I need in bucket loads.

3 comments:

The Kings said...

I can't believe I can see the sun in NSW?!!?! LOL Glad you had a good day - although it was busier than you hoped. Next time we see you, you will be fit as!

Stephannie said...

It's not like you to have long baths, though I still don't know if I believe the whole reading a book story :)

Simone Triffitt said...

Goodness me. What a busy day. I was tired just reading about it. And all that pedalling as well!!