Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Operation, if your Squirmish Don't look

Just thought I'd add these in and show you what has happened over the last few weeks and why I have a little free time on my hands, hope your not squirmish at all, I know I'm not after everything that's happened over the last year.





For those who don't know, which wouldn't be many of you, last July I had my large bowel removed because I had a disease called Ulcerative Colitis. It had infected the left side of the large colon, so we removed it. This last April, I then found out I was going in to have the second of the three operations we had planned and they removed the last bit of bowel and also had to make a J-pouch. After a week I was able to go home and relax and was nearly ready to go back to work. Just three days later I had eaten a banana and it caused a blockage to my system and I thought it would sort itself out, but on Sunday morning after trying a few things I was in alot of pain and I went with Dave and Ande up to Ande's parents place and I could hardly move, so after advice from Ande's dad and then Dave and Ande, I went home and packed a bag and went back to hospital and sat in the Emergency department. I was soon found a bed and they drained out the blockage which relieved the pain straight away.

I was put on to a clear fluid diet and for some reason even with fluids I blocked up again, and they had to do some some tests and x-rays. I was blocked up, suprise suprise, I had told them that already. They then had to put another tube in me and unblock me and after a few days of this and going from not having anything to clear and free fluids, the surgeon came in and saw me and said we may need to do the third operation early. We had planned it for after three months, so I'd have a chance to heal up and the next operation could work without it failing. We decided to see how the surgery went and see if we'd be able to operate sooner and I had to have another test and I had to swallow 4 cups of what they call Barium, its white and foul and is supposed to go through your system so they could see whats happened and if their is any leakage. As soon as I got back to my room one of my doctors came running in and said we gave you the wrong stuff and that will block you up more, so we need to drain it back out of you, so I had another pipe for 3 days while it came back out of my system. The good news out of that though, was that I was a quick healer and they couldn't notice any leaks, so the operation could go ahead.

This is how the wound looked for a couple of days after Surgery, every morning it would be pretty sore and all swollen up and they would have to get a needle and draw all the excess fluid out of it, so it would go back to the right size. Another surgeon comes in on weekends and he was with my doctor seeing me and saw it and said to the doctor, who did that, meaning the cover over the top and told the doctor to get rid of it and also asked how the wound was put together and after hearing with a stitch, the doctor was told to also take that out and let the wound be dressed with gauze and washed everyday.



The wound after being unstitched and cleaned a little, it did kill



It was a nice crater and luckily it's getting better and healing up nicely now. I'm not allowed to lift anything over 5 kg until mid june


This was me a couple of weeks ago, I was at my wits end and had just about given up, I had gotten to start eating soft foods again and I got another blockage and as I'd had the last operation, the couldn't drain me like usual, so instead had to get a nasal Gastric tube in the nose and down through the throat and it hurt anytime I talked or swallowed, so I turned my phone off and if the nurses or doctors came into see me I'd point at the tube and convey to them I wasn't talking for anyone until the tube was taken out. I also had another tube in me and then also a picc line to run my drip through and also another one that they were feeding me all the nutrients and supplements that I had been missing out on for weeks as I had also lost over 15 kg.

After a few more days I was back to being happy again and talking to people and actually got out of bed and walked around the hospital and when I get back to real food again, I got some kfc potato and gravy brought in by a friend and also half a roast chicken by another friend.

I was soon ready to go home and now here I am. Sister Clark for your questions, I'm feeling pretty good, have a few good days and an off day or two, but it's good to be out of hospital and have some freedom again and to be able to think I should be able to get back to just about a normal life again that I had a few years back. The stomach still has to heal up more, but is looking alot better and I can see myself back playing footy by the end of June, if only in the forward pocket for the reserves.

9 comments:

Nettie's Blog said...

AAARRRRGGG !!!!!gosh that is some crater(must say i am not squemish when it comes to that sort of thing...i know i would have been a good nurse)
you must have been in pain Crish... glad that you are on the mend now and especially now that you have time to spend with the family...shame you can't trnsfer back to Tassie with your job...dont they say that "home is where the heart is"???? good to have you "home" even if it is only till June 17th...HEY i just realized you can be at the next Fast Breaker that means ...Yeah!!!! (you can check out the TALENT here then!!!LOL

Watson said...

Ouch! That looks very sore. Hope you're back into your food Chrish. I'll never take it for granted to eat a banana or an apple etc. Hope you're back at footy in June.

The Kings said...

That looks gross Chrish!!!!! Glad it's all working so far (hopefully foreer!) and that you are home to recuperate before you get into the footy again! :D

Chelsea Parsons said...

far out! I am amazed at what you have been through Chrish. Hope it mends perfectly.

Kylie's blog said...

How are you still standing???

Simone Triffitt said...

Yep that's one mighty crater I must say. Your rest here will do you heaps of good and I hope soon you can say goodbye to those awful hospitals and feel a whole lot better. xx

Anonymous said...

I wish i hadn't have looked...

Anonymous said...

Now you can just show a photo, when people ask about you extra navel Chrish.
Love your favourite Mum.
xxx

Early Years Toolbox said...

Oh Chrish, You have had a rough time of it. Hope you are feeling better after going through so much and that the long term outcome is good. Thinking of you.