Monday, August 25, 2008

A Slice of Paradise

My friend David and I are always talking about owning a weekender, not just a building, but some land as well. Somewhere we can escape the weekly grind, well for me lately that doesn't count, but you get my point. We talk of some land where we can have a little shack, some room for dirt bikes, a little dam for fish and generally just getting out there and relaxing and enjoying the outdoors abit.



Nope this isn't mine, well it felt like a slice of paradise at times, and luckily I was lucky enough to grow up on this bit of land. Many a raft race was taken down this stretch and I believe we still have the devonport raft racing trophy here at Mum and Dad's somewhere.

The scene of many Easter camps and egg hunts plus many hours on the tractor slashing, cutting, mowing or getting hay in


The tractor that always seemed to be flat and you would have to find another vehicle to jump start it. Run starting was never an option unless you were smart enough to park it on a very steep incline.
I've always been an outdoors boy for working, I've never wanted to be inside and stuck behind a desk, not that there is anything wrong with that of course.
I'd love to be able to sell my house at sometime and then to be able to purchase a nice few acres and then have a few cows and the things Dave and I discuss and to be able to build a house on the property. I must admit I'm biased to the north part of Tasmania, always have been, so for the last week or so I've been looking on the net and dreaming that if I had some spare cash where would I buy and how much. 50 acres would be a nice little start I think
I'm not expecting anything flash, you get what you pay for, but I like a challenge, no matter what it comes too, I think nothing comes easy. Even if it's like mostly bush, I'm up for the challenge of clearing a little of it and sowing it down with a little grass.
So the question needs to be asked if you were to buy land, where would you buy? where is the best part of northern Tasmania? It's not a rhetorical question, I'd love to find out what you think, so comment me.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I don't have a particular favourite place but I think if it is near water or has a creek on it, that is always a good start. Also when I think of the north of Tassie I think of something green and lush so it would have to be like that. Good luck on your search

Carli said...

Buy around there around where you grew up - somewhere near the water would be a little warmer.

Marnie said...

I really love the area around Latrobe- so beautiful any time of year. And even though I said Id never live further north west than Devonport ever again, i recently spent a night near Gunns Plains, and it was so so beautiful- so green and fresh. loved it!Its fun dreaming , huh, one day I want to oen some land too...mmm, if only money did grow on trees!

Chelsea Parsons said...

Chrish... you are sounding more and more every day like you need to stay in TAssie!!! Dont go back to Sydney! You are looking much better too, all this lovely fresh Tassie air! When do you head back to Sydney????